Saturday, March 26, 2011

Magic in the air!!

 
A huge part of working for Disney is passing on the traditions that have been established in the many years the company has been around. So each new cast member (as the employees are called, there are many more fun Disney terms that I will explain!) has to go through a Traditions class before beginning work. So early on Friday morning my roommates and I boarded a bus even before the sun came up and headed over to Disney University! I have to say this class was so inspirational and very useful even in the real world. It taught me to handle any types of situations with guests and how to create happiness for the guests.

Now to explain a little about my day: We were split up into 2 groups and herded down the exciting halls of Disney University that were adorned with numerous pictures of every Disney movie ever made...including James and the Giant Peach and the Mighty Ducks. I found myself instantly bonding with people around me by exclaiming “OMG I love that movie!” or “I was obsessed with that movie as a child…and I still am now!”. I was discussing this with a girl I met today named Tara, we agreed that before this program we felt the need to hide the extremities of our passion and obsession for Disney but here we are free to express all our Disney knowledge without being judged. I’m not ashamed to admit I know part of Walt Disney’s dedication speech of Disneyland or that I listen to the attraction soundtracks from Disneyland! 

Anyways, I’m digressing…In Traditions we had 2 leaders who were more like comedians named Matt and Sean who explained and taught to us in a very comedic but memorable way the expectations of the Disney Company, what they stand for and how they make each moment for every guest magical, or at least the best it possibly can be. We watched some interviews and fun movies about WDW (Walt Disney World) and the last one made almost everyone in the room cry because it was so inspirational and exuberated pure happiness! One very important thing I learned was a smile goes a long long way! And I will remember that forever :) We then got a tour of the Magic Kingdom and seeing the castle for the first time, not going to lie, made me tear up because of how much it represents and the sheer joy it can bring to any face whilst entering the park. After that Mickey came to visit us and he handed out prizes while Matt and Sean asked us questions!! I ended up getting 3 little Disney figurines! Yay!

After Traditions my roomies and I crashed at the apartment and took wonderful naps (which I figured out are going to help me survive my 5 months here) and then Lindsay, Kim and I ventured back to the Magic Kingdom to explore! I have to say the Magic Kingdom threw me off a bit because it is SO similar to Disneyland, but also very differently laid out which confused the heck out of me! Lindsay and I were constantly comparing it to Disneyland, but I know I will get used to the Florida layout eventually. We went on a couple rides and ate at Pecos Bills, which is where I will be working! I’m thankful to say it was actually really good food, thank gosh.

3/26: My roommate Shaleen and I had training WAYY early which required us to catch the 6:05 bus. We got to Disney University at 7 on the dot and soon were shuffled off to take another tour of our workplace, the Magic Kingdom, which is THE MOST visited theme park in the world!! We got to see the opening of the park at 8am and I have to say it was a moment I will never forget, because we heard the countdown until the park opened and got to see children running towards main street with so much excitement and happiness it was contagious! We then proceed to learn about what our roles would be and our costumes. This training lasted from 7am-3pm and I have to say if it wasn’t for my roomie Shaleen I would have not survived! We also visited the costume warehouse and were issued our costumes!! There were hundreds upon hundreds of different kids of costumes there it was so intriguing!!

I can’t wait to explore the other parks!! My roomies Emily and Lindsay are working attractions at Hollywood Studios, Kim is a lifeguard at blizzard beach, Shawna is working in the parking lot of Animal Kingdom, Shaleen is working the food stands in Magic Kingdom and Jaclyn and Marieli are working at EPCOT. This is just an example of how many jobs there are at WDW! My favorite thing to do is look at the other cast member’s costumes and try to guess where they work! I see a new costume each day, so it is quite fun! :)

I officially begin training on Wednesday and I have some late hours, like 1 or 2 am. But I am excited to learn new things and make the most of my experience here and not be a Debbie downer.

TTFN!! (tata for now as Tigger says!)

No comments:

Post a Comment